Thursday, March 28, 2013

Tai Chi, 03-26-2013

I was finally able to go to one of Han sensei's classes.  He is a friend of my ikebana teacher and I have met him a few times.  He teaches tai chi and other martial arts and he is world famous.  He also teaches at Shikoku University.  He's from China but has been here for 7 or 17 years (I forget) and speaks Japanese fluently.  Most of the ikebana/tea ladies take his class, but the timing has never worked out for me.  And I haven't been able to go to one of their show either so I was very happy to have this chance.
Sasaki sensei has taught a seniors' (citizen) class for about 7 years now (to help out Han sensei).  Since the university is on vacation Han sensei went to teach this class himself.
Most of the people (all 65 and over) have been doing this for at least a year and a half, if not longer (that's how I'm comforting myself).  I couldn't do it!!!!  I could do the start-up exercises although my balance wasn't nearly as good as theirs nor was my flexibility!  (They also get to the center by bike or walking in summer and winter.  They all seemed to be in VERY good shape!).  I absolutely couldn't do the routines.  Each hand and each leg moving in different directions at the same time...  I am NOT that cooridinated!!!  But it was fun anyway.



 
 





Han sensei, me, Sasaki sensei

Then we went to a Chinese restaurant.  Yummy!

Fried chicken, salad, egg drop soup, pickles, rice, tofu.
This was the smallest set.


Fried chicken (Japanese style).

Tofu in a ponzu sauce.  Yum.

Vegetables on rice - another yum.

Chinese ramen - ramen came from China.
They use star anise in China.  Interesting flavor.

Vegetables, chicken, sweet potatoes, almond pudding
salad, ramen, dumpling, tofu.

Gyoza.

 
When we got back and before going to work I did a little blossom viewing - still spotty...
 
















 

No comments:

Post a Comment