Saturday, March 9, 2013

Spring is here and so is 'kosa', 2013-03-09

Spring is here, the temps have been inching up, then dropping and then inching up again.  It seems to me it's earlier this year than last, so I won't be surprised if the temps drop again for a while.  In the latter half of this week I rode my bike around a little, picniced, chatted with people at the park, enjoyed a some delicious sherbert, and opened the windows. The scent of the plum blossoms is being carried into the streets on the wind which makes bike riding even more special.  I was happily thinking about leaving off one layer of clothing and looking forward to being outdoors all the time.
 
But then today... when I opened the balcony door I smelt smoke (or something).  I could hardly see the mountains.  It's 'kosa' the word for the yellow sand that's blown over from China this time most years.  The sand and dirt is bad for people with allergies and respitory problems of course, and now it has become a problem for everybody because there are tons of chemicals, heavy metals, pesticides, etc. being carried over as well.
I did wear a mask riding to work (which meant doing without sunglasses), and I cancelled my plans to eat lunch outside.  But I don't want to do that on a regular basis...  I remember the haze from last year but last year I was happily ignorant of the dangers...
 
Yellow sand and PM2.5 flow to western Japan
Parts of western Japan have reported an influx of yellow sand from inland China and a rise in fine toxic particles known as PM2.5.

The sand from deserts in China and Mongolia is carried to Japan around this time of year by prevailing westerly winds.

The season's first influx was reported in Fukuoka, Yamaguchi and Ehime prefectures on Friday.

Fukuoka City observed yellow sand and an associated rise in the density of PM2.5.

City authorities urged people with allergies, asthma and other respiratory conditions to wear masks outdoors.
Pollution levels reached 78 micrograms per cubic meter at one point in Omuta City in Fukuoka Prefecture on Friday morning.

Heavy PM2.5 pollution has become a serious health hazard in Chinese cities.

Concerns are also growing in Japan. The government recently adopted a benchmark of 70 micrograms per cubic meter. It told prefectural authorities to issue public alerts when the daily average is projected to top the level.

Based on the guidelines, Yamaguchi Prefecture on Friday urged residents to refrain from exercising outdoors and to avoid nonessential outings.

Prefectural authorities say particle levels reached 92 micrograms per hour at an observation point in the morning. But they say the pollutants later declined, and the alert was lifted.
Mar. 8, 2013 - Updated 11:45 UTC (20:45 JST)

No comments:

Post a Comment