Monday, March 25, 2013

Some early hanami (cherry blossom watching) in Tokushima, 3-25-2013

A house I passed, see the giant cherry on the
mountain behind it?

I don't know what that is,
but it's really pretty.

Jizoindera, Myodo
My favorite place in Tokushima.
Joizoindera


Jizoindera, my favorite tree.
New growth from a dead stump.


The blossoms on that
little tree.

Look at the building.  It
looks like a smiling face.  Two
eyes, a nose and smiling mouth.

The buds are almost as pretty as the blossoms.
The picture doesn't do them justice.
Add caption


Add caption

I don't know what this tree is...

??

The entrance to Jizoindera.

Across the pond from Jizoindera.

A few of the trees were at about 40%, others
hardly had any blossoms.

Add caption

Looking back at Jozioindera and the
yamazakura (mountain cherries).

Lots of citrus still on trees.

These are kumquats (ginkan).

Forsythia

At Fukuroi koen in Akui.


By the end of the week or the weekend
these should be in full bloom.

















I went out for a ride today even though the wind was whipping around my apartment making wooo wooo eerie noises.  I thought maybe I'd hike up a moutain to a wonderful cherry blossom area but after looking at it from below, I decided the trees weren't in full bloom yet and it wasn't worth what would be a very strenuous hike.  So I headed west along the mountian to a couple of my favorite places, knowing that the trees would not be in full bloom yet.  I was fighting the wind and it was quite chilly but good exercise.  Above are the pictures.  On the way back I stopped first at Kuramoto park where I ate my lunch under some sakura.  Then at the store, where since I was really cold and windblown, I decided to get a cup of coffee at McDonalds (they have good, cheap coffee here).  Sitting there I noticed that they have a powdered green tea (matcha) and oreo McFlurry (milkshake).  I've never had one of their milkshakes but this one sounds to good to pass up (at first I thought it was mint and oreo for St. Patrick's Day - but mint is not well liked here).  And they also have a 2 for 1 french fry sale (my favorite), so sometime this week I'll stop on my way home.  Back on the road, and of course, whichever way I was travelling the wind was against me - at times I had a hard time driving straight!  I'm pooped.  Did the laundry since, although it's late and the sun is down, it's so windy I'm hoping things will dry quickly.

Hopefully this will just be the beginning of the sakura pictures, but you never know, they're so fragile - wind or rain at the wrong time and they're gone!  Which I guess is what makes them so special - their fleeting beauty and the fact that they drop when in full bloom.

No comments:

Post a Comment