Friday, June 28, 2013

This is What I've Been Waiting For!! - Aka Island, Day 1, 6-13 - 2013

Ahhh.  Finally!!!  I took a taxi to the ferry in the morning (there are only 2 ferries each day) and found a seat.  This is what I'd been waiting for since I left Tokushima. 
A 'tropical island' and some snorkeling. 
The weather forecast kept predicting rain, and at one point a typhoon.
But as you will see I had gloriously blue skies and puffy white
clouds the whole time.  And a scorching sun.
'Give it your best / Try your best Japan!'

Ferry Zamami



These adorable guys were strays!  They're about 8 months
old now and along with their people are
going to start a new life on Zanami island.





 









The scenery actually reminded me a lot of Big Sur and the Central Coast.
Except of course for the sparkling, clear, aquamarine colored water!
 




The sky, such a vibrant blue with those wonderful
puffy clouds was as beautiful as the clear, torquiose water.
I felt like I was entering one of my dreams...



 
I, along with 2 German girls who have been studying in a university near Osaka and are taking their last trip before heading home, were picked up at the pier for the 3 minute ride to the pension (minshuku in Japanese).
 
Kawai diving and minshuku
 This is the beach in front of the minshuku but after changing into
the bathing suit I would be wearing for the next three days,
I decided to go a little further afield.





 
About a 10 or 15 minute (slow - it was really hot) walk
brought me here, to Turtle Beach.  I wasn't lucky enough to see any turtles this day but
I did the next day.  I have to admit that I wasn't totally comfortable snorkeling alone.
There were very few tourists on the island and I wasn't usually able to find a spot where others were swimming.  And I do believe you shouldn't swim alone...  But what could I do??!!  I was a little nervous, especially since there are poisonous fish, snakes, jellyfish, etc. So I wasn't as adventurous as I could have been - I didn't go out too far, or too close to the rocks, etc.  But it was still great.
 





 
Ok, hungry now, not too many places to eat so I stopped here.  A dumpy
little shack, the owner was asleep in front of the TV, they served 3 things,
and this was the view.

hermit crab

Reminds me of the movie South Pacific.


The choices were curry rice, taco rice and noodles.
This is taco rice (for some reason an Okinawan specialty).





Kawai diving is the roof at the end of this beach.


Kedama deer, they swim between the islands.






The path to Sunset Beach.


Sunset Beach - to the right...


Sunset Beach - to the left I found a sliver of shade over by those rocks,
spread out my plastic sheet and took a little nap.
What a life.



This is how clear the water is.

A sea star or sea cucumber or something...

I LOVE these neon blue fish.  Who knew this was really a color
in nature.  These are babies, I did see some bigger ones.






I love it here!

 



Some of the beaches are sand and some are coral pieces.
Not easy on the feet.


The sun is starting to go down, time to head back
for a shower and then dinner on the deck... ahhh...





a neighborhood street


from the deck

The room was nothing, actually musty/moldy smelling, as was the
air from the air conditioner, I didn't use it after the first night.

But, this was the view.

It rained for about 10 minutes (mostly while I was in the shower)
and then out on the deck, this is what we saw.
 And then dinner (dinner and breakfast were included) was served.
This is from a 15kg fish that the owner caught the day before.
It was served various ways over the next couple of days.
And the vegetables are from their garden.

Goya and eggplant

daikon and beef (maybe)

a 'fish burger' with cheese and shiso

spring rolls with Goya, puff pastry with sweet potato/sesame/nutmeg stuffing - delicious!,
and more of the fish
We ate out on the deck overlooking the beautiful harbor.  Heaven!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment