Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Sun Moon Lake, Taiwan Day 6, 6-7-2013

brother
 The next morning the B & B hostess asked me if I wanted get breakfast in town and then go to go to see her father's wood workshop.  So we drove to her hometown and met her dad and her brother.  They use hinoki - cypress - that smells really good, and they make ornamental things.
her dad
an apple

my hostess and her nephew

Puli (the name of the town)


Three very friendly dogs
at the B & B


Formosa Aboriginal Village and Amusement Park
I arrived fairly early, before the gondola started so I went on a couple of rides.  Mostly by myself!  Which isn't so nice, especially since I'm scared of them anyway...  The park was really empty.
 


Drop zone - nope, didn't do it.





These are some kind of ginger plant, really pretty and unusual.


I did do this and was the only one in my car.  Turns out it turns around
at that first corner and you end up going down the middle part
backwards, then it turns around again and you do the big splash
forwards and get totally soaked.  Didn't mind the soaking and dried in
about 5 minutes but I did NOT like the backwards part!

 
The gondola started at 10 I think so I went up to the top and made my way down through the different (16 or 18) aboriginal 'villages'.


 
 






 
The interesting thing about the aboriginal buildings here is that Taiwan is a very small island but the building and the building materials are very different.
Some are made of stone.  Many flat stones that are stacked.  Others from trees, some from bamboo.  The houses are made differently, some with communal rooms, some with private rooms, etc.  Each tribe has a different language, different foods and clothes.
 










































































 
I stopped for an aboriginal lunch.  I've had aboriginal food a few times now
and I like it much more than current Taiwanese food.
 


































This was an activity you could do.  I did.  I wasn't as good as I thought
I'd be (I was on the archery team in high school) but after the first
2 or 3 shots that weren't even on the target, the rest were mostly in the red and blue.








 
 
And then back to the amusement park on the way out.
 
 


 
I had to change rooms on my last day, a misunderstanding of my 1 day early arrival I think.  But no big deal.  The 2nd room was in the main house on the third floor.
 
 
 

Quite a cool little fridge.




 
View from 2nd room.




 
I went into town for dinner and had a delicious hot pot meal at
a place my hostess recommended.




Some sort of seasoning paste.

Some tea with jelly that I'd picked up. 
Too sweet.


Tree tomato juice that came with the meal.
Delicious.

 
My hostess found me at the restaurant and asked if I wanted to go up to the lake and see the temple at night.
 



Father and daughter singing at a pier.
They were very good.

 
In the main house of the B & B.
So odd in a place where everything else
is just a run down shack or concrete block building.




Breakfast on the last day.

The son of the family, his soon to be bride (they run the B & B)
a niece/granddaughter who lives there, and a helper.

Looks like California to me.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment