Sunday, April 21, 2013

A Pot Luck - Japanese style! 4-21-2013

After the fun at the festival we all went home to prepare for the evening's pot luck dinner.  I didn't know/realize (?) that it was also a going away party for me...  I made tabouli using quinoa instead of bulger (becauce that's what I had) and hummus with veggies for dipping and I brought another greek dip that had been sent to me.  Everyone liked everything.  There was soooo much food - all delicious.  LOTS to drink.  After sampling red wines from France, Germany, Australia and California (Mondavi) I came to the conclusion that it's not really red wine I don't care for - it's California red wine I don't care for!  Didn't like the Mondavi at all...  I also tried Grappa - boy does that pack a punch!  And sake, which I usually love, but I didn't really care for this one.  I should try to do a sake tasting before I leave, there really are big differences, like wine.  Here's a look at the food and the fun.


Chicken and daikon in a vinegar sauce.


A different chicken preparation and eggs.

Tempura

Karaage - Japanese style fried chicken.

Takenoko - bamboo shoots.

Bamboo shoots with hot peppers.

Makizushi

R: a Thai chicken dish.  L: ?

My dips.

Fresh sea bream (Tai) sashimi with sudachi, daikon sprouts,
shredded daikon (radish) and shiso leaves
One of the girl's fathers went fishing that day!

Rolled sweet egg.
Thai rice.


Cucumber and konbu (sea kelp).

Fried fish with ginger.


There was also udon (noodles in broth)
 and a delicious Italian
beef stew dish. Oh, and
handmade Chinese
gyoza (dumplings).






Well into the drinking part of the evening...




 

No comments:

Post a Comment