Monday, January 28, 2013

My Favorites, 01-29-2013

Here is my list of favorites (and least favorites) of the past year in Japan:

THINGS I LOVE

Of course all the friends and just the friendly, kind people I’ve met here are #1, but after that given, here is my list:

#1 Heated toilet seats - Pure luxury in winter, you just want to melt into the seat!

Considering sashimi, sushi and udon 'fast food', and cheap fast food at that!

Warm spring and HOT summer.

Being able to ride my bike everywhere.

Flowers and food that represent the seasons in everyone's mind.

winter - camelia, mikan (mandarin oranges), yuzu       

spring - plum and cherry trees, strawberries

summer - all kinds of flowers, fireworks & festivals,  kakigori (shaved ice), sudachi (a lime like fruit), cold noodles                         

fall - kinmokusei (fragrant olive bush – such a sweet smell), kaki (persimmons)

So many different kinds of mushrooms to choose from - or have all.

Kotatsu - low table with a heating lamp under it.  Instant warmth (at least your bottom half!).

Seeing the persimmons hanging outside people’s houses drying.

Ohuro (soaking tubs) in winter time - keeps you warm for at least 1/2 hour afterwards.

Bike riding along the mountain.

My favorite vegetable shop and little market.

Bakeries (bread) everywhere.  So many supermarkets within riding distance - all with different prepared foods and sashimi.

Heat Tec clothing (longjohns).

Jupiter - the imported food store.

Hanging clothes outside to dry.

Small portions.  Light cakes.  So many choices in senbei (rice crackers).

THINGS I COULD DO WITHOUT

No central heating.

Only cold water in my bathroom sink.

Absolutely no insulation in the homes / wind coming through the doors and windows (that have slats that can’t be close!

Lack of natural beauty/green close at hand.
 
The trash/recycling system!!!
Having to ride my bike everywhere I want to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment