Sunday, January 27, 2013

English Square New Year's Party, 01-27-2013

I am STUFFED!!!  We had a fun and delicious meal at a Korean style yakiniku (grilled meat) restaurant tonight.  I wish I'd know how much food was going to be involved - I would have skipped lunch.  As it turned out I ate a very late lunch and an early dinner!
This restaurant had tables with the 'holes' under them so you sit on the floor but your legs go down as if in a chair.  Much more comfortable than sitting completely on the floor.  There are grills in the middle of each table, and somehow (I didn't think of it until now) there was no smoke but there weren't fans either...  Hmmm, I wonder how they did that...  Yuko had ordered set courses for us and there were different cuts of beef, pork and chicken, vegetables, lettuce leaves to wrap the meat in, some salad with a great dressing, a Korean mochi - scallion pancake, a little fried chicken, rice, soup, bimbap (Korean rice with veg. and raw egg in a cast iron sizzling bowl) and ice cream.  I completely skipped the regular rice and soup, and only had a couple of spoonfuls of the bimbap.  Just too much!  But it was all delicious and so much fun to talk and cook together.

Joel and Chiharu
grill in table


Chie (Yuko's daughter) and Koki kun (they had their official engagement today).
spinach, bean sprouts, tofu, kimchi on shiso


pork and tongue

yummy salad

pork with salted onion
chicken and beef


mochi-scallion pancake

lettuce for wrapping
Joel, Yuko, Chiharu, Miho


grilling some meat

bimbap - Korean rice with veg and raw egg




See the snowball he's holding?! (Sorry, snow on my lens)


Mini snowball fight


No comments:

Post a Comment