Monday, November 5, 2012

Ikebana Exhibition, 2nd installment, 11-5-2012

The ikebana exhibitions seem to always be held over 4 days with different arrangements on the first two days and the last two days.  I believe, but I'm not positive, that all the arrangements are done by teachers from the different 'schools' of ikebana.  Different 'schools' use different types of vases and have different rules of arrangement.  And it seems there are many 'break away' schools nowadays... sort of like the Catholic church with Protestants, Methodist, etc.  When people have new ideas that don't really fit into the old rules, they make a new 'school'.  Once again very pretty and imaginative arrangements (and lots of lillies).  The woman I went with today (the lady I met a couple of months ago at the Culture Hall who led me to her friend who led me to the wonderful community center where I continue to meet new people and end up with more things to do) also told me that in the past all schools only made arrangements with flowers/plants from the current season.  But that has changed now that so many varieties are available all year round.  I tend to like the ones that fit the season best.
After I finished at the flower show I quickly biked over to the Tamiya Center for an enamal jewelry class.  I've included two pictures of the teacher's work (evidently she's quite famous).  I made a brooch ? and a key ring which I can't show you because they/it is a present for my mom and she'll see it!


















Everything is a fruit or vegetable!










My favorite today.  Prettier in person, like a winter scene.  White rocks = snow, and the red berries.





























Enamel jewelry

No comments:

Post a Comment