Friday, May 3, 2013

Iya Valley, Tokushima, 5-3-2013

Yesterday I went to Shinomiya jinja to see the azealas.  I missed the full
 bloom I think but it was still pretty.  This is the shrine where I often
have a picnic lunch on Saturdays.











 
Today someone took me to the Iya Valley - Ikeda, Oboke and Koboke. Oboke is where Jake and I rafted last summer. There's a beautiful gorge and the mountains were covered in 3 or 4 different shades of green. Green like on the east coast, not California. The green I've missed this last 20 years living on the west coast.
 
These first pictures are in Ikeda.  The man who took me, (Kozaburo)'s grandmother used to live in the house in the next picture.  The first picture is where her family used to make sake.  It's now an antique store and across the parking lot is a little inn where they serve coffee and sweets to everyone who stops by (it seems). 
 







Those are futons hanging out of the 2nd story guest rooms.

Then we went to this bridge. It turns out the statue is of his great-grandfather who owned and logged the mountain. He also built this bridge and another down the road, and the people of the town were very grateful. Now his grandfather owns the mountain. We went to see the log house (cabin) that is on the property. And we scrambled down the side to the river and watched some rafters going by. It seems I am over my fear of heights. I had no problem crossing this suspension bridge the bottom of which is wooden slats that you can see through. The log cabin was sooo nice. I don't know what kind of wood it's made of - looks like pine but has a wonderful smell, more cedar like, but it's blond... I could easily live in a place like that. It even had a wood stove. I've never seen one in Japan before.

Kozaburosan and his great granfather.


About his great grandfather and the bridge.






















 



Yep, that's the bridge I crossed without fear!



After our walk we found a soba (buckwheat noodle) place for lunch.  The inside was also made of beautiful wood.  Then we headed for the vine bridge - Kazurabashi.
 






People on a concrete bridge watching all the scared people
crossing the vine bridge (I wasn't scared!).



I have to say it isn't that easy to walk across.
It sways and the slats aren't that wide.  And with
a camera in one hand and umbrella in the other it
was hard to hold on.








A waterfall just up the road.




 
And after this we continued on to an onsen (hot mineral bath)!
 

They were selling takoyaki (dough balls with octopus bits) outside the onsen.

There were many different baths some with jets, different
minerals, etc., a salt sauna and an outdoor bath!
After a very nice soak and a few minutes relaxing in
the lounge we started home (about a 1 1/2 hr. drive).





 
Since it was about 7:30 by the time we got home we decided to go out for dinner at a place near my house that I had never been too.  I forgot to take pictures.  Some good sake and little plates of various things - edamame, a hot pot, a few fried things, a little meat.  Yum.  So time for bed because tomorrow we are going to Kobe!

No comments:

Post a Comment