Sunday, February 10, 2013

Awa Festa, 2-10-2013


It was like old times (finding a great event that I didn't know about).  After I made myself get dressed and go out I found it was sunny and pleasant.  I figured I'd go into town to pick up some coffee      (7-11) and olive oil and decided to stop at Sushi Rou for lunch - very crowded but yum.  When I was only a couple of blocks from SOGO I saw Sudachi kun across the street and flags waving for some event at Awa Gin Kaikan.

I was thinking of going over to that side of the street anyway to ride through the park and see if any plum trees were blooming there (although I don't think there are any over there).  But when I passed Sudachi kun another man came over to me waving a sign and he invited me to go inside and see the Awa Festa.  There were a few different groups from different cities in Tokushima prefecture playing instruments, singing stories, dancing, etc.  A few of the groups were from shrines and did the dances/plays from their own special festivals. 



 










 
 
Then I had the chance to make little wood dancers (from a kit).  Not as easy as it looks because even thought all you do is glue the pieces together, the pieces are tiny!
 
a volunteer
the example



outline of the dancers


mine



Then I went to SOGO and picked up a few things at Jupiter and the coffee. 
 
The very convenient (but small) bike parking area at SOGO/Amico

Some 'cocktail' dresses for brides to change into at their wedding receptions.  These are acutally fairly 'tame' looking.  Some are bright orange or tourquoise and brown, etc.!  Most of them remind of the dresses women in saloons would wear.
By the time I started home it was getting dark, the wind had picked up and it was chilly again.  Now, what to have for dinner....

No comments:

Post a Comment