Monday, December 3, 2012

Koyou (Autumn leaves) around Tokushima, 12-3-2012

I had a much needed relaxing day.  I've been so busy since August really, but especially October and November... today all I had to do was return some clothes.  So I spent the morning in my pajamas Skyping with Peter, Jake and my mom.  Then, since the sun was shining, it wasn't too cold - maybe in the upper 40s... and there are some pretty leaves around so I headed out to GU to return the clothes and then I took a bike ride.  Just wandering here and there like I used to do.  The light was really beautiful, especially as I rode through the park.  I've missed the best of the leaves here I think but there was still a very 'end of fall' like feeling as I rode around.
After a ride through the park I decided to go over to teramachi (the temple/shrine area) where I stopped at one of my favorite little temples and found some pretty scenery.  Then I went to UniClo (clothes store) but didn't find anything, and of course I can't go into town anymore without stopping in at Jupiter where I picked up a couple of pizza crusts thinking that would be a good thing to do with some of those green peppers from Naoko (like I need an excuse for pizza!).  I also picked up some french jam.  I love that store.  Then down to the food basement where I finally bought a treat I've been eyeing for ages.  It was a tanuki (racoon dog - not really) shaped cake which was supposed to have buttercream in the head.  Wasn't real buttercream, but better than what Californians consider buttercream.  The cake was quite good, a yellow lemon cake with little pieces of lemon rind.  Then there was a thin layer of buttercream around the whole thing and it was covered with a thin layer of chocolate.  I meant to take a picture but I squished it on the way home and it didn't really look like anything but maybe a chocolate snowman...  It was quite good, but not as good as a lot of Japanese cakes, so a one time thing.
I also picked up some 7-11 coffee hoping it will be good.  I bought some Hills Brothers with high hopes a few weeks ago but it must be very acidic because it curdles the soymilk I put in it, and soymilk is less likely to curdle than regular milk...  Weird.
It was about 3pm and I hadn't had lunch so I stopped at Sushi Rou.  Yummy!  So nice I can get a great sushi lunch for about $5.  I try to have at least one new thing each time I'm there.  This time I had two.  Some fish innard... don't know what but very creamy, and little bits of deep fried chicken bones or cartlidge (don't make a face, it's good!). 
Then I stopped at the community center to retrieve the enamel jewelry I made and then let them display for their fair and was presented with a gift.  Turned out to be laundry detergent.  A hint?  No, it's quite a normal gift...  very practical.
Stopped at Seven (one of my many supermarkets) because I've been craving ribs.  They had them - yeah! and I picked up some sake.  Which would have lasted all winter last year, don't know about this year.  Actually it's fairly good drinking sake so I'll probably get something different - and cheaper - for cooking.  That way it should last.  Coming home late at night and having some nice warm sake is a winter pleasure!


The light was so beautiful today.





A dragon?  Snakes?                                  































No comments:

Post a Comment